About

This blog is an ever-growing collection of brief responses to books, articles and conference presentations about learning. Topics that interest me are autonomous learning, collaborative learning, digital learning, learner-centered learning, adult learning, communities of practice, online communities, teacher education, reflection, TESOL and Grounded Theory. The basic idea is Einstein’s: If I can’t explain it simply, I don’t understand it well enough. If you want to read about learning, but just don’t have the time, here’s a quick overview in less than 400 words. Meanwhile, through sheer hours of practice, I’ll improve my writing style and writing speed.

A graduate of Massey University and Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, currently I am a teacher educator/staff developer at Otago Polytechnic in New Zealand, and a PhD candidate at the University of the Sunshine Coast in Australia. For more about me as a professional, see my Linkedin profile. To see what I’m exploring informally, see my Twitter feed. My current research focuses on the self-directed learning of TESOL teachers. This blog will change over time as I begin to collect and analyse data.

2 thoughts on “About

1. Hi Julie, great to read about your first steps on the path of your studies! Such an interesting blog you created, wow, looks splendid! I wish you a lot of energy, luck and joy in reading, thinking and writing the next few years! And I am looking forward to sharing and discussing our thoughts.
    Nienke

• Thanks Nienke! Going public forces me to take my thinking to the next level. Thanks for offering to share this learning journey with me. I’m looking forward to discussing our ideas over good coffee.